Plastic chemicals like BPA leach into hot coffee at least 55x faster than cool water. That’s why plastic-free coffee makers are so vital.
BPA-free coffee makers seem like an easy fix, but “BPA-free” plastic is misleading. (More on that later).
Yet, truly non-plastic coffee makers seem far and few between—
That’s why in this ultimate non-toxic coffee maker guide, you’ll discover:
- Why traditional coffee makers are problematic, how toxins leach, & health risks of plastic-tainted coffee.
- Why BPA-free coffee makers are misleading.
- Auto vs. manual coffee makers – Pros & Cons for each.
- The 13 best coffee makers without plastic – tested & reviewed. (Auto & Manual available.)
- 6 buying considerations to help you choose the right brewer.
- Lastly, 3 actionable tips for identifying & avoiding BPA in coffee makers moving forward.
Let’s get started.
Jump to a Section
|Brewer||Name||Key Features||Star Rating||Check Price|
|Technivorm Moccamaster Auto||Made mostly from stainless steel & glass | Efficiency settings | Adjustable strength | Gourmet brew | Multiple color options | 5-year warranty||4.6 / 5||Check Price|
|Bunn VP17-1SS Auto||Built like a tank (100% stainless steel) | Brews 12 cups in 2-3 minutes | Restaurant-quality coffee | Simple controls | Made in the USA||4.8 / 5||Check Price|
|Chemex Pour-Over||100% Borosilicate glass | Clean, smooth taste | Total brew control | Beautiful design | Made in the USA||4.8 / 5||Check Price|
|Bean Envy Pour-Over||Borosilicate glass | Built-in handle | Stainless steel filter | Non-slip silicone base | Lifetime warranty||4.7 / 5||Check Price|
|Hario Ceramic Pour-Over||100% ceramic (retains heat for full-flavor coffee extraction) | Great K-Cup alternative | Multiple color options | Very affordable||4.8 / 5||Check Price|
|Cafellissimo Steel Pour-Over||100% stainless steel | Lasts forever | Great K-Cup alternative | Doesn't use paper filters (Produces bolder flavor)||4.4 / 5||Check Price|
|Top||Presto Electric Percolator||Reliable stainless steel design | Automatic brew cycle | Brews 1 cup per minute (12 cups) | Hot, rich coffee | 1-year warranty||4.6 / 5||Check Price|
|Farberware Stovetop Percolator||100% stainless steel | Lasts forever | Doesn't require electricity | Works on all stovetops | Great for camping | Lifetime warranty||4.6 / 5||Check Price|
|Cafe Du Chateau French Press||Stainless steel & borosilicate glass | 4-layer steel filter | Durable steel handle | Powerful flavor | Lifetime warranty||4.5 / 5||Check Price|
|Mueller French Press||100% double-walled stainless steel | Lasts forever | Keeps coffee hot | 4-layer steel filter | Durable steel handle | 2-year warranty||4.8 / 5||Check Price|
|Grosche Stovetop Moka Pot||100% stainless steel body with silicone gasket | Lasts forever | Doesn't require electricity | Works on all stovetops | Quality Italian-made safety valve||4.6 / 5||Check Price|
|Yama Glass Vacuum Brewer||Solid borosilicate glass | Includes reusable filter | Doesn't require electricity | Works on gas & electric stoves | Pure flavor||4.5 / 5||Check Price|
|Cafe Du Chateau Cold Brewer||Stainless steel & borosilicate glass | Superfine steel filter | Airtight silicone seal | Durable steel handle | Doesn't require electricity or heat | Lifetime warranty||4.7 / 5||Check Price|
Why Plastic-Free Coffee Makers are More Important Than You Think
Look, plastic chemicals don’t just jump out and attack you. There’s no “BPA bandit” on the evening news.
Instead, they’re an invisible hazard, slowly leaching into drinks when stressed—
The most common stressor? Heat.
The second most common? Acidic drinks.
And what is coffee? Hot and acidic!
As I mentioned, BPA leaches 55x faster in hot liquids than in normal conditions. And black coffee is 14x more acidic than spring water.
So, coffee is a prime target for BPA soup.
But what exactly is BPA? And, is BPA-free plastic safe?
What is BPA?
- Reproductive disorders.
- Heart disease & hypertension.
- Insulin resistance
- Certain Cancers
- Effects on fetal brain development, impacting estrogen regulation & causing anxiety. (Applicable to pregnant women.
Yet, keep in mind, occasional BPA exposure isn’t a big deal… For example, brewing a full pot in a plastic drip machine for guests.
However, continued exposure (like your daily cup of joe) can impact your health. So, it’s best to use a plastic-free coffee maker.
But here’s an important point:
The coffee maker doesn’t need to be 100% plastic-free—
For example, plastic handles, control buttons, and outer shells are fine… Hot coffee doesn’t touch those areas.
But the internal parts that touch hot coffee (filter baskets, interior plumbing, etc.) should be plastic-free.
This makes automatic plastic drip coffee makers the biggest culprit. They’re loaded with plastic components.
If there is plastic, try to avoid BPA.
But then again, does BPA-free plastic make a difference? Let’s see…
Are BPA-Free Coffee Makers Safe?
Common replacements for BPA include BPS and BPF – BPA’s close cousins.
You’ll find them in most BPA-free coffee makers.
Originally they were thought to be safe, but research thinks otherwise…
Here’s what the NCBI says about BPS/ F:
“These BPA substitute-based products are consumed under the label of “BPA-free—
Because of structural similarities with BPA, these alternatives also show endocrine disruption effects like BPA. And many studies on adverse health effects of these alternatives are being reported.”
Yet, later in the study, NCBI explains:
“Research also shows that BPS and BPF may have a less harmful impact on health than BPA.”
So, the bottom line is, all plastic carries risk, although BPA-free is marginally safer.
But when you demand the safest coffee makers, plastic doesn’t fit the bill… Yet, it’s not always possible to avoid—
That’s why later, you’ll see how to identify and avoid BPA-containing plastic. The tips will help you lower your risk.
Next, let’s compare auto vs. manual brewers. Then, dive into our best and safest picks for each!
The Safest Non-Toxic Coffee Maker Types | Auto vs. Manual
There are two types of healthy non-toxic coffee makers: Automatic and manual, like a car.
Automatic Coffee Makers
This group includes automated drip coffee makers—the most common on countertops—and espresso machines.
- Easy to use – just press a button.
- No learning curve.
- Fast & convenient; they save you time.
- Big & bulky
- Include a TON of plastic parts, except for a select few units.
The biggest problem with automatic drip brewers and Keurigs are the plastic components.
It’s nearly impossible to find a 100% non-plastic automatic coffee maker. (Although we found a few.)
Manual Coffee Makers
Manual includes pour-overs, French presses, stovetop Moka pots, cold brewers, and vacuum coffee makers.
Percolators are sort of a hybrid, so we’ll include them here also.
- Inexpensive – simple parts with little (if any) machinery.
- More control & creativity – you control each variable (grind size, speed of pour, etc.).
- Portable – small, simple, & lightweight; easy to take anywhere without breaking.
- Most are plastic-free!
- Better flavor because there’s no plastic to taint your coffee.
- Takes some trial & error in the beginning – more effort.
- More time-consuming than automatic brewers.
Takeaway on Auto vs. Manual
Overall, manual non-plastic coffee makers provide a better experience.
You save money, avoid plastic, and get a rich, cleaner taste than coffee from auto brewers…
And, you have more control—
By adjusting the coffee grind size and water temperature, you can customize your brew’s taste and strength:
- For more potent brews: Use a finer coffee grind (table salt-sized). You can also slow your pour (pour-overs) or steep longer (French press).
- For a lighter brew: Use a coarser grind (raw sugar-sized) or fewer grounds altogether. Also, pour faster or give a shorter steep.
Now let’s move on to the list!
13 Best Non-Plastic Coffee Makers for Every Brewing Method
- Technivorm Moccamaster
- Bunn VP17-1SS
- Chemex Pour-Over
- Bean Envy Pour-Over
- Hario Ceramic Dripper
- Cafellissimo Steel Dripper
- Presto Percolator
- Farberware Yosemite Percolator
- Cafe Du Chateau French Press
- Mueller Double-Walled French Press
- Grosche Milano Steel Moka Pot
- Yama Glass Stovetop Vacuum Brewer
- Cafe Du Chateau Cold Brewer
Below, you’ll see the 13 healthiest coffee makers, grouped into seven brewer types.
For each plastic-free coffee maker, *no plastic touches hot coffee at any point.
(*Except for #1, which has a plastic basket. But, water only touches it for a few seconds. The other 12 picks have 100% plastic-free brew processes).
Let’s get started!
Best Automatic Drip Non-Plastic Coffee Makers
Drip-style non-plastic coffee makers are your best bet for the easiest, quickest brews.
The following two options are the safest plastic-free drip coffee makers available today.
Technivorm Moccamaster BPS/BPF/BPA-free Coffee Maker | 8-Cup
Technivorm handcrafts this model in the Netherlands from primarily stainless steel and glass.
Its water reservoir and filter assembly are the only plastic parts, yet they’re BPA, BPS, and BPF-free. And, only cold water sits in the reservoir until the brew cycle begins.
Here’s how it works—
Water rushes from the reservoir down into the copper and steel heating element. Then, it reaches an optimal 196-205℉ in seconds.
Once hot, water shoots up the inner glass tube (no plastic contact) and across the steel arm on top.
After that, water drips down over the grounds, brewing the coffee.
The result? A steamy, near-perfect cup, like Juan Valdez himself delivered it straight to your door!
Although some plastic parts (the only one on this page), we featured it due to its smart engineering. Aside from Bunn’s brewer next, you won’t find an automatic drip machine with less plastic contact.
This unit measures 6.5″ deep, 12.75″ wide, & 14″ tall. Weighs 6.3lbs.
- Minimal plastic exposure: Coffee has virtually no contact with plastic throughout the brew.
- Brews 40oz (10 cups) in 4-6 minutes.
- Confusion-free on/off switches for the brewer & adjustable hot plate.
- Heater switches off when the water tank empties. The hot plate shuts off after 100 minutes, saving electricity.
- Adjustable brew basket to slow water flow, producing more robust coffee.
- Includes a glass carafe. A thermal stainless steel carafe model is available here.
- Pairs with disposable chemical-free coffee filters & reusable mesh.
- 5-year warranty & nine color options to choose from.
- High price tag
- Some users complain that the carafe holds less coffee than expected.
- Again, the inside of the brew basket is plastic.
Bunn All-Stainless Steel Coffee Maker with No Plastic | 12-Cup
Bunn’s VP17-1SS isn’t the prettiest plastic-free coffee maker, but it sure is one of the safest!
It spits out a full 12-cups of steaming hot coffee in 2-3 minutes!
And that’s not even the best part.
It’s the only 100% plastic-free, non-toxic drip coffee maker! But, with one condition—
The included filter assembly is plastic, so you must grab Bunn’s stainless steel filter basket separately.
Also, Bunn sells its carafes separately – grab one here.
Not a big deal, but a small price to pay for safety and performance.
This brewer measures 17.7″ deep x 8″ wide x 17.8″ tall. Weighs 24lbs.
- 5-star rated
- 100% stainless steel coffee maker with no plastic parts, unlike ANY other auto dripper!
- Turbo-charged brewing, so you can defeat morning grogginess in minutes.
- Built like a tank: This is the last coffee maker you’ll ever need, saving you hundreds of dollars down the road.
- No confusing controls or steep learning curve: Simply pour water in the top & out comes your coffee.
- This plastic-free coffee maker is made in the USA!
- Big & heavy – make sure you have the counter space.
- Not very attractive – has a commercial look.
- Steel filter basket & carafe sold separately.
Best Pour-Over No Plastic Coffee Makers
You can’t get much more straightforward than pour-over coffee drippers. The name says it all.
Toss a filter in the top, add fresh-ground beans, and pour hot water over the grounds!
Tip: Make sure you pair your pour-over with a safe tea kettle.
Chemex Pour-Over No Plastic Coffee Maker | 40oz
The Chemex is one of the healthiest coffee makers you can get (and coolest-looking).
It’s all-glass, beautifully crafted from shock-resistant borosilicate. This glass type resists thermal shock, preventing cracks and exploding glass.
And the brew quality is epic—
Its unique shape traps the individual flavor notes lost in other designs. With hot water, a thick filter, and some grounds, you’ll beat Starbucks’ flavor without leaving your home.
And for an even more eco-friendly brew, pair your Chemex with this reusable organic cotton filter!
This unit measures 9 1/8″ tall & 5″ wide. Weighs 1.3lbs.
- 5-star rated.
- Stain-proof, shock-resistant glass: Laughs at sudden temperature change.
- Brews five 8oz servings (40oz) in 10-20 minutes.
- Also great for iced tea & iced coffee.
- Wipes clean in seconds: Remove the wooden handle & hand wash, or slip it into the dishwasher.
- 30-day money-back guarantee, just in case.
- Made in the USA.
- Some complain that the glass isn’t as thick as it used to be. It’s more prone to cracking.
- Shatters if dropped.
- Can lose heat quickly through the top. But, this glass top accessory helps slow cooling between cups.
Want to buy elsewhere? Grab the Chemex on Etsy right here!
Bean Envy Pour-Over Non-Toxic Coffee Maker | 20oz
Like Chemex, Bean Envy crafts their no-plastic coffee maker from thick borosilicate glass. But three differences set it apart—
First, unlike most pour-overs, this model sports a built-in handle for easier pouring.
Second, you get a reusable stainless steel filter. It’ll reduce waste and help protect your brew’s flavor. (Disposable paper filters absorb some flavor oils, whereas a steel filter won’t.)
Third, a non-slip base keeps it secure on your countertop, preventing accidents.
This unit measures 8.5″ tall x 5.25″ wide. Weighs 1.6lbs.
- Non-porous, shock-resistant glass: This glass won’t explode, stain, or absorb flavors/ odors.
- Built-in handle for non-awkward pouring.
- Removable silicone base so your cat won’t swipe this off the counter.
- Includes a bonus reusable steel filter.
- Brews 20oz servings in 5-10 minutes.
- Easy cleaning: The base & filter are removable. Hand-wash or toss in the dishwasher.
- Lifetime warranty for total peace of mind.
- The mesh filter can clog pretty quickly, so rinse it right after you brew… Don’t let the coffee dry in the mesh.
Hario V60 Pour-Over Ceramic Non-Toxic Coffee Maker – Size 02 | 4-Cup
Hario’s ceramic dripper retains heat for consistent temperatures throughout the pour. That, plus the funnel’s spiral ribs, help with extraction and flavor enhancement!
All that (plus the absence of plastic) makes for clean, savory coffee that will knock your socks off.
It’s easy too. Simply place the dripper right on your coffee mug for the pour… No need for a carafe.
I like to think of this dripper as a plastic-free coffee pod, except with a MUCH richer, bolder flavor.
The entire unit measures 5.5″ tall x 4.7″ wide and weighs only 1lb.
- 5-star rated
- Solid ceramic keeps the temperature steady for perfect coffee extraction.
- Compatible with both reusable steel mesh & reusable paper filters. Or, of course, use Hario’s disposable paper filters.
- K-Cup pod alternative: Set the dripper right on your mug for a quick cup.
- Versatility: Make a single serving, or set it on top of a larger coffee server for multiple people.
- Brews 1-4 cups in 4-5 minutes.
- Dishwasher-safe & wipes clean in seconds.
- Also available in red ceramic.
- It can break if dropped.
- Of course, you can’t see through the ceramic. So you’ll have to pre-measure water before you pour to prevent overflowing.
Cafellissimo Stainless Steel Pour-Over Coffee Maker Without Plastic | 2-Cup
Where Hario falls short, Cafellissimo picks up the slack—
This dripper is made from solid 18/8 stainless steel, so it’s completely unbreakable.
Plus, the steel mesh design will further enhance flavor (no paper filters). Those delicate oils can escape the bean and flow right through the mesh into your cup.
Also, since the mesh is see-through, you don’t need to pre-measure water like Hario.
The cone measures 5.2″ tall x 4″ wide and weighs under an ounce!
- 100% stainless steel pour-over coffee maker with the durability to last.
- Very inexpensive.
- No need for filters: Save money on paper filters, reduce waste, & enhance your coffee’s flavor.
- K-Cup pod alternative: Perfect for single servings!
- Effortless cleaning & dishwasher-safe.
- Brews 1-2 cups in a couple of minutes.
- 30-day warranty.
- I’ve noticed coffee that’s ground too fine clogs the mesh somewhat quickly. So, this dripper works best with coarse grinds. Always rinse before the coffee grounds dry.
Best Percolator Plastic-Free Coffee Makers
Percolator coffee makers without plastic are my favorite overall.
They’re simple, quick, and make fantastic coffee… It’s all thanks to how they brew—
Rather than simply dripping through coffee grounds once, percolators recirculate until completion.
The result? A powerful cup of java.
Presto Electric Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator | 12-Cup (Our Top Pick)
Presto’s electric percolator combines the safety and taste of rich pour-over coffee—
With the ease and efficiency of automatic drip brewers… Minus the plastic!
Simply fill the stainless steel pot and add coffee grounds to the top basket. Then, plug it in.
You’ll get 4-12 cups of steamy, bold coffee within minutes (average of 1 minute per cup). For fewer people, grab Presto’s 6-cup model.
Measures 13.1″ tall x 6.2″ wide inches. Weighs 2.9lbs.
- Reliable stainless steel design with the durability to last for years without replacement.
- Cool-touch handle for a comfortable pour.
- Use paper disc filters or the steel filter basket itself for extra-rich flavor. No need to buy disposables!
- Fail-proof brewing: Anyone can make an impressive brew in minutes, regardless of skill.
- Indicator light notifies you when the coffee is ready.
- Doubles as an insulated, plastic-free coffee pot for table serving. Or, leave it plugged in to maintain temperature.
- Strips apart & wipes clean in seconds: Use a toothbrush or pipe cleaner for the perc tube & spout.
- Best percolator for travel: Not bulky; easy to bring to the hotel. Just plug it in!
- 1-year warranty.
- No auto shut-off or power switch. So, you have to remember to unplug the unit when finished.
- Difficult to see the volume markings inside the pot without shining a light. Pre-measuring water is an easy fix.
- Not dishwasher-safe, except for the lid, basket, & stem piece.
Want to buy elsewhere? Prestos are available here on Etsy – some new, some secondhand for lower prices. You’ll even find some neat vintage percolators!
Farberware Yosemite Stovetop Stainless Steel Coffee Maker | 12-Cup
Rather than electricity, Farberware’s Yosemite percolator uses heat from your stovetop.
Operation is simple.
Add your coffee and water, then turn on medium to medium-high heat—
Wait until you see coffee-colored bubbles through the glass knob on top (you’ll hear them, too)—
Then, turn the heat to low and wait 4-6 minutes—
Now you’ve got 4-12 cups of piping hot, bold coffee! An 8-cup version is also available.
Measures 9″ tall x 7″ wide. Weighs 2 1/4lbs.
- Lifelong durability – 100% mirror-polished steel body.
- Doesn’t need electricity: Keep the Yosemite as a backup for power outages. Great for camping, too.
- No need to use filters: Instead, use the permanent filter basket to maximize flavor & save moola.
- Works on all stovetops, including electric & induction.
- 100% dishwasher-safe & immersible for easy cleanup.
- Comfortable heat-resistant handle.
- See-through glass knob to track brew progress.
- Lifetime Warranty.
- There’s an open groove/ lip at the top of the pot where coffee grounds collect. Not a huge deal; it just means a little extra cleaning.
- The handle is plastic & may get hot, particularly over gas burners.
- Some users mention how the glass knob can come loose. Handle gently.
Other options: For a more effective stay-cool handle, check out this wood-handled percolator from Coletti.
Best Plastic-Free French Press
French press is another non-toxic coffee maker that gives you more control over your brew.
You steep medium-coarse grounds in hot water, then filter by pressing down the plunger.
Hence the name French press coffee maker!
Cafe Du Chateau Plastic-Free French Press | 34oz
This French press (with no plastic) consists of a borosilicate glass carafe and stainless steel housing.
The plunger and filter are solid stainless, too.
And speaking of the filter, its innovative 4-layer system catches every speck… So, no hearing the dreaded, “Hey, there’s something in your teeth!”
And because you don’t need paper filters, you won’t lose any of the bean’s natural oils. Hello, complex flavor profiles!
The whole unit measures 7.25″ tall x 6.5″ wide and weighs 1.75lbs.
- 100% plastic-free coffee maker: Solid stainless & borosilicate glass: Durable, shock-resistant, & most important, CLEAN.
- The steel outer shell protects the glass if you bump your press.
- Brews 34oz in 3-5 minutes.
- An innovative 4-layer filter catches every grind for a smooth cup.
- Comfortable steel handle stays cool, thanks to its distance from the press.
- Requires no electricity, only hot water, & a yearning for caffeine.
- Cleanup is a breeze: Everything comes apart for cleaning, preventing nasty grime. Dishwasher-safe, too.
- Risk-free lifetime warranty.
- The edge around the stainless steel housing is a bit sharp. The filter edges are too, so use caution when hand washing.
- Also, this press is bulkier than other 34oz units due to the steel housing… Something to consider. The press below (#10) solves most of these issues.
Mueller Insulated Plastic-Free French Coffee Press | 34oz
Rather than a glass-steel mix, Mueller’s French press is 100% stainless steel. Plus, it’s double-walled, which offers several benefits.
The two-layer insulation maintains the temperature, so your second cup is hot like the first. Yet, the outside of the press stays cool to the touch.
Also, the water won’t cool as much while it steeps. This means better extraction and a more flavorful brew.
Third, this thing is super rugged… The worst that happens if dropped is a small dent.
The press measures 12.3″ tall x 5.1″ wide and weighs 2.2lbs.
- 5-star rated
- 100% stainless steel – no plastic or breaks. You’ll save cash on replacements.
- Brews 34oz in 3-5 minutes.
- Insulated coffee press: Keeps coffee hot longer without having to reheat. (A more eco-friendly coffee maker.)
- 4-layer stainless steel filter for velvety smooth French press coffee.
- Comfortable steel handle that stays cool to the touch.
- Easy to clean: Take the press apart & throw its pieces in the dishwasher.
- Free bonuses: Includes two stainless steel screens & a travel canister for coffee grinds.
- A 2-year warranty has your back.
- The filter disks are a bit sharp. Use caution while handwashing to prevent cuts.
- The branding (Mueller Austria) appears like this press is Austrian-made. But it’s actually made in China, yet, designed by an Austrian company. Some buyers felt duped, so now you know!
Safest Moka Pot Coffee Maker
It’s a rich and intense java brewed in a stovetop “Moka” pot—
A bit less potent than espresso (from high-pressure machines), yet stronger than American drip coffee… The perfect jolt before a long day or afternoon pick-me-up.
Moka pots operate like percolators, with water in the bottom and grounds on top. But steam pressure further extracts the coffee for extra flavor and caffeine.
Grosche Milano Stainless Moka Pot | 12oz
Quickly (and safely) whip up Moka like a pro with this pot from Grosche Milano.
Unlike most aluminum/ plastic Moka pots, this unit is entirely stainless steel—
Even the lid and handle are steel, so you know this thing will last (no melted handles)!
The pot also features a high-quality safety valve crafted in Italy for top-notch performance. You don’t see that often anymore!
Measures 4.25″ tall x 6″ wide and weighs 1.8lbs.
- 100% stainless steel construction: All-metal coffee maker built to last forever.
- Steel filter basket to save money on paper filters & better protect flavor.
- Brews 6 cups in 5 minutes. (There’s a 10-cup version available for larger families – get it here.)
- Precise, non-drip spout, so you never miss your mark.
- Quality Italian-made safety valve so your pot won’t explode like a hand grenade.
- Works on all stovetops, including induction.
- Dishwasher-safe: More time sipping & less time scrubbing over your sink.
- Requires no electricity – use during power outages & take it camping!
- The lid’s hinge is a bit weak, so be gentle when opening & closing.
- The solid steel handle can get hot. If that concerns you, here’s a Moka pot with a genuine stay-cool handle.
- The steel lid gets hot, too, so be careful if you lift the lid to peek inside mid-brew.
Cleanest Vacuum-Style Plastic-Free Coffee Maker
Also known as a siphon or vacuum coffee pot, this is one of the cleanest non-toxic coffee makers out there… And one of the coolest!
Vacuum coffee brewers consist of multiple glass chambers connected by a center filter. Here’s how they work—
Simply fill the bottom chamber with water, then place it over a burner on your stovetop.
Coffee grounds go in the top chamber.
As the water heats, vapor pressure forces it upwards into the top chamber, engulfing the coffee grounds.
Let it steep for a few minutes, then shut the heat off. The decreased pressure in the bottom then sucks the coffee back down through the filter!
Yama Glass Stovetop Vacuum Coffee Pot | 32oz
This brewer looks more like a science project than a plastic-free coffee maker—
But rest assured, this thing churns out excellent java. And no plastic ever contacts your brew – instead, only borosilicate glass!
The airtight vacuum locks in unmatched flavors and aromas lost in most other brew types.
Some would say it’s on par with the French press, but I feel the flavor is a bit more complex. This customer sums it up best:
“The vacuum pot takes longer, but in my opinion, produces a richer coffee.” I agree.
Measures 10″ tall x 6″ wide and weighs 1.75lbs.
- All-glass coffee maker (borosilicate), so no plastic touches your brew.
- Includes a reusable cloth filter so you can get brewing immediately. (Stainless steel filter also available)
- Cool-touch handle for easy maneuvering.
- Requires no electricity, only heat, & a desire for robust java.
- Works on gas & electric stoves.
- Brews 32oz in 7-10 minutes (20oz size also available).
- Conversation starter: Impress your guests with your fun & sophisticated brewing!
- The narrow mouth on the coffee pot is a pain to clean by hand. But, a simple bottle brush solves the problem.
- This isn’t a “hands-off” brewer. You need to watch it, so it’s not ideal for hectic mornings.
Best Cold Brew Coffee Maker Without Plastic
The final section on our list, cold brew coffee makers without plastic!
These are the easiest of all to use—
Simply add coffee grounds to the mesh filter, then fill the carafe with cool water. Close the lid and steep it (like tea) for 12-16 hours.
Let it sit longer for a more potent batch – up to 24 hours.
Cafe Du Chateau Cold Brew Coffee Maker | 34oz
Cafe Du Chateau is back again, this time with a stylish cold brewer. Like their French press, this borosilicate non-toxic coffee maker comes with a steel housing.
The difference is in the lid and filter:
—This lid sports an airtight silicone seal – rare in most cold brewers. Like the vacuum unit above, this sealed environment helps preserves complex flavor.
—A superfine steel mesh filter sits deep inside the carafe. It lets the water fully extract every bit of caffeinated goodness.
The result? An untainted, rich, full-bodied cold brew, unrivaled by many coffee shops.
Measures 8.5″ tall x 5″ wide and weighs 1.75lbs.
- 100% stainless steel & borosilicate glass construction.
- Durable & shock-resistant – able to store in the fridge for two weeks.
- Steel outer shell protects the glass, preventing cracks.
- Superfine mesh filter for perfectly extracted cold brew, free from particles.
- Airtight silicone seal to maximize freshness & enjoy epic flavor every time.
- Yields about 30oz in 12 hours.
- Comfortable steel handle for easy pouring.
- Requires no electricity or heat – only water & a little patience!
- Dishwasher-safe. Also, the lid, filter, glass carafe, & steel housing come apart to hand wash.
- No-risk lifetime warranty.
- The stainless steel edges are relatively sharp. So, use caution while handling.
- The filter takes up some space in the carafe. So you’re not getting the full 34oz of coffee – more like 29-30oz.
Other options: Since the filter takes up some of that 34oz, you might consider a larger brewer—
Here’s a 51oz cold brewer made from stainless steel and glass. Even with the filter, this unit still yields over 40oz of coffee.
6 Buying Considerations to Choose Your Best No-Plastic Coffee Maker
Now that you’ve explored the 13 best plastic-free coffee makers, your head might be spinning. There are many options, but not every brewer perfectly matches the user.
The following considerations can help you think through your decision.
This way, you get the best option for your family – not somebody else’s.
#1 Speed & convenience
How much time do you have in the morning?
If you need fast, convenient brewing, then Presto’s electric percolator or an auto-drip is good—
Also, consider cleaning and care. Do you have time to strip apart French presses, Moka pots, or vacuum brewers?
If not, a pour-over or auto-drip will be the lower-maintenance option. Presto is fairly simple and easy to care for too.
Everything on this list is a safe, non-toxic coffee make.
But of course, glass and ceramic can break. There’s no way around it.
If you don’t trust yourself with either, choose a full stainless steel coffee maker instead.
Are you the only coffee drinker?
Or, do you have an entire houseful of java-heads to supply?
But nothing beats the Bunn VP-17… It’ll hold 192oz of water and spit out full 12-cup pots every 3 minutes!
#4 Storage space
Are you limited on countertop or cabinet space?
Large auto-drip machines like Bunn and Technivorm might be too bulky for you.
A simple pour-over dripper can fit anywhere.
Presto’s percolator doesn’t take up much space, either. It’s relatively narrow.
Best Brewer Overall
With the considerations above, Presto’s electric percolator is the overall winner.
It has the perfect balance of flavor, safety, size (easy storage), brew capacity, and speed. Plus, it’s affordable!
How to Identify BPA-Free Coffee Makers (“Safer” Plastic)
Maybe you can’t get a shiny new plastic-free coffee maker yet… Or perhaps you want to keep looking.
Whatever the case, keep the following in mind as you shop around.
You can use these three tips for anything, not just for browsing the safest coffee makers.
So, here’s how to check for BPA—
1) Check the labeling:
When you’re looking at a new plastic-containing brewer, read the label.
Examine the fine print and look for the words “BPA-free.”
But don’t stop there.
After confirming BPA-free, you’ll want to make sure the plastic is also BPS and BPF-free.
How do you know? It’s simple.
Companies love to brag about how their appliances are free of all the “BP’s.” It’s a unique selling point.
So if you don’t see those words, it’s best to stay away.
Or, if you only see “BPA-free,” message the seller or call the company. Ask if the product is free of BPS and BPF.
2) Check the recycling number:
This plastic number guide can help you determine if your current coffee maker is BPA-free.
(This is tough to do when shopping online. But for in-person shopping, it’s helpful.)
Scan for the following:
- Flip the product over & look around for numbers 1-7 surrounded by a triangle made of three arrows… Aka, the Recycling Symbol.
- Numbers 1, 2, 4, & 5 are not likely to contain BPA.
- Numbers 3, 6, & especially 7 are more likely to contain BPA.
3) Look at the plastic:
Rigid and transparent plastics are often polycarbonates, and these typically contain BPA. (Polycarbonates often have the label “PC” on the bottom.)
Reusable water bottles are one example of polycarbonates. Rigid, clear plastic food containers are another.
On the other hand, soft, flexible, and cloudy plastics usually do not contain BPA. You’ve likely seen food containers like this as well.
Of course, those are just best practices… The best bet is to get a 100% plastic-free coffee maker as soon as you can.
Or at least a brewer with minimal BPF, BPS, and BPA-free plastic, like the Technivorm.
Now you have everything needed to choose the best non-toxic coffee makers—
We covered the problems with traditional brewers, including BPA-free coffee makers.
You found the two types of coffee makers without plastic – auto and manual, with pros and cons for each.
Then, we explored the 13 best plastic-free coffee makers for every brewing method.
After that, six buying considerations to help you choose. And finally, three tips to avoid BPA in plastic moving forward.
Now it’s your turn; which brewer will you pick?
P.S. Now that you’ve got your coffee maker, complete your (non-toxic) breakfast with the safest non-toxic waffle maker guide!
Enjoyed this post? Share it with your friends!
Non-Toxic Kitchenware Checklist
Get a step-by-step product guide with insider tips & tricks for the safest kitchen possible!