Plastic chemicals leach into coffee 55x faster than cool water. That’s why plastic-free coffee makers are vital.
“BPA-free” coffee makers seem like an easy fix, but “BPA-free” is misleading. (More on that later).
So, in this ultimate guide to non-toxic coffee makers, you’ll discover the following…
- Which coffee makers are the most hazardous.
- The health risks associated.
- How to find “safer” plastic.
- And the 13 best coffee makers without plastic.
If you’re short on time, use the Table of Contents or product chart below to jump around, or…
Stick around, so you don’t miss and juicy details.
Ready? Let’s go!
Table of Contents
|Brewer||Name||Key Features||Star Rating||Check Price|
|Technivorm Moccamaster Auto||Made mostly from stainless steel & glass | Efficiency settings | Adjustable strength | Gourmet brew | Multiple color options | 5-year warranty||4.6 / 5||Check Price|
|Bunn VP17-1SS Auto||Built like a tank (100% stainless steel) | Brews 12 cups in 2-3 minutes | Restaurant-quality coffee | Simple controls | Made in the USA||4.8 / 5||Check Price|
|Chemex Pour-Over||100% Borosilicate glass | Clean, smooth taste | Total brew control | Beautiful design | Made in the USA||4.8 / 5||Check Price|
|Bean Envy Pour-Over||Borosilicate glass | Built-in handle | Stainless steel filter | Non-slip silicone base | Lifetime warranty||4.7 / 5||Check Price|
|Hario Ceramic Pour-Over||100% ceramic (retains heat for full-flavor coffee extraction) | Great K-Cup alternative | Multiple color options | Very affordable||4.8 / 5||Check Price|
|Cafellissimo Steel Pour-Over||100% stainless steel | Lasts forever | Great K-Cup alternative | Doesn't use paper filters (Produces bolder flavor)||4.4 / 5||Check Price|
|Top||Presto Electric Percolator||Reliable stainless steel design | Automatic brew cycle | Brews 1 cup per minute (12 cups) | Hot, rich coffee | 1-year warranty||4.6 / 5||Check Price|
|Farberware Stovetop Percolator||100% stainless steel | Lasts forever | Doesn't require electricity | Works on all stovetops | Great for camping | Lifetime warranty||4.6 / 5||Check Price|
|Cafe Du Chateau French Press||Stainless steel & borosilicate glass | 4-layer steel filter | Durable steel handle | Powerful flavor | Lifetime warranty||4.5 / 5||Check Price|
|Mueller French Press||100% double-walled stainless steel | Lasts forever | Keeps coffee hot | 4-layer steel filter | Durable steel handle | 2-year warranty||4.8 / 5||Check Price|
|Grosche Stovetop Moka Pot||100% stainless steel body with silicone gasket | Lasts forever | Doesn't require electricity | Works on all stovetops | Quality Italian-made safety valve||4.6 / 5||Check Price|
|Yama Glass Vacuum Brewer||Solid borosilicate glass | Includes reusable filter | Doesn't require electricity | Works on gas & electric stoves | Pure flavor||4.5 / 5||Check Price|
|Cafe Du Chateau Cold Brewer||Stainless steel & borosilicate glass | Superfine steel filter | Airtight silicone seal | Durable steel handle | Doesn't require electricity or heat | Lifetime warranty||4.7 / 5||Check Price|
What the *BEEP* is BPA?
BPA (Bisphenol A) is a chemical used to harden plastic. It’s been around for over 40 years now.
You can find BPA inside water bottles, soda can linings, plastic containers, baby toys…
And yes, even coffee makers.
This stuff hides in plain sight.
Fortunately, many companies have stopped using BPA altogether because of health concerns, but…
“BPA-free” plastic isn’t much safer.
Common replacements for BPA are BPS and BPF.
These are BPA’s elusive cousins, often found in consumer plastic items.
When you see “BPA-free,” it might just mean a cousin is present.
Here’s what the National Center for Biotechnology Information says about BPS and BPF…
“These BPA substitutes-based products are consumed under the label of “BPA-free –
Because of structural similarities with BPA, these alternatives also show endocrine disruption effects like BPA, and many studies on adverse health effects of these alternatives are being reported.”
More on those other adverse health effects in the next section.
Now, all four chemicals are mostly safe under normal conditions.
But when stressed, they become problematic.
Why Plastic-Free Coffee Makers are More Important Than You Think
Plastic chemicals don’t just jump out and attack you.
There’s no “BPA bandit” on the evening news.
It’s an invisible hazard, sneaking its way into your food and drinks when stressed.
The most common stressor?…
The second most common stressor?…
In fact, BPA leaches out 55x faster when exposed to hot liquids than it does under normal conditions.
And black coffee is 14x more acidic than spring water.
So, coffee makers are a prime target for this “BP-party.”
I actually remember watching my old drip coffee maker warp before my eyes mid-brew.
Quite cringeworthy, to say the least.
It’s even more troubling when you discover what these toxins do to your health…
According to Medical News Today, here are a few health concerns related to BPA exposure.
- Reproductive Disorders
- Heart Disease
- Type 2 Diabetes
- and certain Cancers
Children are particularly vulnerable.
With concerns on brain development, hyperactivity disorders, anxiety, depression, and a higher risk of obesity.
Although insidious, exposure here and there is no big deal.
Continued exposure, however, (like your daily cup of joe) impacts your health over time.
For this reason, it’s best to go for a 100% plastic-free coffee maker.
And if there is plastic, make sure it’s also free of BPS and BPF.
But before we get to the safest coffee makers…
Let’s first look at the most unsafe, so you can better understand our selections below.
The Biggest Culprit
I’m sure you’re familiar with the automatic brewers full of convenient brew options.
Like K-Cup coffee machines or those plastic drip machines with a billion settings.
These machines make life easier.
But the issue is this –
They are FULL of plastic.
Don’t get me wrong; not all plastic on a coffee maker is unsafe.
Plastic coffee pot handles, control buttons, and outer shells are fine.
Hot coffee isn’t touching those spots, but…
Plastic water tanks, filter baskets, and especially internal parts are troubling.
Anywhere hot coffee touches the plastic.
Those places are where chemicals have the highest chance to leach into your brew.
Plastic isn’t always avoidable due to its low cost and convenience, so keep the following tips in mind.
How to Identify BPA-Free Coffee Makers (“Safer” Plastic)
If you can’t avoid plastic, here are three key steps to identify the safest coffee makers…
1) Check the labeling:
When you’re looking at a new plastic-containing brewer, read the label.
Examine the fine print and look for the words “BPA-free.”
But don’t stop there.
After confirming BPA-free, you’ll want to make sure the plastic is also BPS and BPF-free.
How do you know? It’s simple.
Companies love to brag about how their appliances are free of all the “BP’s.”
It’s a unique selling point.
So if you don’t see those words, it’s best to stay away.
Or, if you only see “BPA-free,” message the seller or call the company.
Ask if the product is free of the other “BP’s.”
2) Check the recycling number:
This number can help you determine if your current coffee maker is BPA-free.
Flip the product over and look around for numbers 1-7 surrounded by a triangle made of arrows.
Numbers 1,2,4, and 5 are not likely to contain BPA (or its cousins).
Numbers 3, 6, and especially 7 are much more prone to host a “BP-party.”
Not only unsafe, but these plastics are challenging to recycle, which puts an extra burden on the environment.
3) Look at the plastic:
Rigid and transparent plastics are likely to be polycarbonates. These typically contain BPA.
Reusable water bottles are an example of polycarbonates.
Soft, flexible, cloudy plastics usually do not contain BPA.
Of course, these are just best practices.
Again, the best bet is to get a 100% plastic-free coffee maker.
Or at least a brewer with minimal BPF, BPS, and BPA-free plastic.
Luckily, there are many options with no plastic whatsoever.
Now that you know what to avoid – let’s look at the best BPA-free coffee maker types.
The Safest Non-Toxic Coffee Maker Types – Auto and Manual
When considering healthy, non-toxic coffee makers, there are two main groups to consider…
Automatic and manual (just like a car).
Automatic brewers include automated drip coffee makers (the most common on countertops).
And auto espresso machines.
Pros of automatic coffee makers:
- Easy to use – just press a button.
- Very fast and convenient, saving you time.
- Big and bulky
- Include a TON of plastic parts (the biggest problem)
It’s nearly impossible to find a 100% non-plastic automatic coffee maker. (Although we found a couple!)
Next up, manual coffee makers without plastic.
These include pour-overs, French press, stovetop Moka pots/ espresso makers, cold brewers, percolators, and vacuum coffee makers.
Pros of manual brewers:
- Very inexpensive – simple parts with very little (if any) machinery.
- Room for creativity – you control each variable (more on that soon).
- Portability – small, simple, and lightweight – easy to take anywhere without breaking.
- Better flavor because there’s no plastic to taint your coffee.
- Require more skill and effort to use.
- More time consuming than automatic brewers.
Overall, manual non-plastic coffee makers provide a much better experience.
You save money, avoid nasty chemicals, and get a rich, cleaner taste than coffee from most shops…
And, you control all of the variables.
Here’s what that means.
By controlling the coffee grind size and the water temperature, you can customize your brew’s taste and strength.
If your coffee is too weak, try a finer grind (smaller bits, like table salt).
If your coffee is too strong, consider using fewer grounds or a coarser grind (larger, like raw sugar).
Now let’s move on to the list!
13 Best Coffee Makers Without Plastic for Every Brewing Method
- Technivorm Moccamaster
- Bunn VP17-1SS
- Chemex Pour-Over
- Bean Envy Pour-Over
- Hario Ceramic Dripper
- Cafellissimo Steel Dripper
- Presto Percolator
- Farberware Yosemite Percolator
- Cafe Du Chateau French Press
- Mueller Double-Walled French Press
- Grosche Milano Steel Moka Pot
- Yama Glass Stovetop Vacuum Brewer
- Cafe Du Chateau Cold Brewer
Below, you’ll see 13 of the healthiest coffee makers, classified into seven different categories.
Every option (except for one) is a 100% plastic-free coffee maker.
No plastic touches hot coffee at any point in the brewing process.
And don’t worry if you’re not familiar with manual brewers.
At the start of each section, I’ll quickly explain how the brewer works, so there’s no confusion.
Let’s get started!
Best Automatic Drip Non-Plastic Coffee Makers
For the easiest, quickest brews, drip-style non-plastic coffee makers are your best bet.
The following two are the safest automatic drippers you’ll find anywhere!
Technivorm Moccamaster 8-Cup BPS/BPF/BPA-free Coffee Maker
Technivorm handcrafts their Moccamaster in the Netherlands mostly from stainless steel and glass.
Its cool-water reservoir and filter assembly are the only plastic, yet it’s certified BPA, BPS, BPF, and phthalate-free.
(Water drips through filter basket and spends very little time in there).
Here’s the process in action…
Water rushes down into the copper heating element and reaches a perfect 196-205℉ in seconds.
Then, (once hot), it shoots up the inner glass tube (no plastic contact) and across the steel arm on top.
After that, water drips down over the grounds. The result?
A steamy, near-perfect cup, like Juan Valdez himself delivered it straight to your door!
Although some plastic (the only one here), it still made this list due to its smart and safe engineering.
The only downside here is the higher price tag, but you get what you pay for.
- Minimal plastic exposure: Coffee has virtually no contact with plastic throughout the brew.
- Makes 40oz (10 cups) of coffee in 4-6 minutes, so you have more time to sip before work.
- Confusion-free, on/off switches for the brewer and adjustable hot plate.
- Efficient heater switches off when the water tank is empty. Hot plate shuts off after 100 minutes, saving electricity.
- Adjustable brew basket to slow water flow, allowing more time to steep and more robust coffee.
- Disassemble for no-sweat cleaning, which means no nasty grime and an extended lifespan.
- Includes glass carafe (steel thermal carafes also available).
- Pairs with reusable mesh or chemical-free coffee filters.
- Measures 6.5″ deep, 12.75″ wide, and 14″ tall. Weighs 6.3lbs.
- A no-risk 5-year warranty and over a dozen colors to choose from.
Bunn VP17-1SS Stainless Steel Coffee Maker – No Plastic (12-Cup)
Bunn’s VP17-1SS isn’t the prettiest plastic-free coffee maker, but it sure is one of the safest!
It spits out a full 12-cups of steaming hot coffee in 2-3 minutes!
And that’s not even the best part.
It’s the only 100% plastic-free, non-toxic drip coffee maker!
With one condition…
The included filter assembly is plastic, so you’ll need to get their stainless steel filter basket separately.
Also, Bunn sells its carafes separately.
Those are really the only drawbacks here.
That, and it’s quite large, so make sure you have the counter space!
A small price to pay for priceless safety and performance.
- 5-star rated
- 100% stainless steel construction, unlike ANY other automatic drip coffee maker.
- Turbo-charged brewing, so you can defeat morning grogginess almost instantly.
- Built like a tank: This is the last coffee maker you’ll ever need, saving you hundreds of dollars down the road.
- No confusing controls or steep learning curve: Simply pour water in the top, and out comes your coffee!
- Measures 17.7″ deep x 8″ wide x 17.8″ tall. Weighs 24lbs.
- Proudly made in the USA!
Best Pour-Over No Plastic Coffee Makers
You can’t get much more straightforward than pour-over coffee drippers.
The name says it all.
You toss a pour-over coffee filter in the top, fill it with fresh coffee, then “pour” hot water “over” the grounds.
Simple as ABC!
These do take a bit more trial and error, but the effort is worth the (safe) mouthwatering reward.
Chemex Pour-Over No Plastic Coffee Maker (40oz)
The Chemex is one of the healthiest coffee makers you can get (and has a stunning design).
It’s all-glass, beautifully crafted from clean, shock-resistant borosilicate.
This glass type means you can reheat coffee on the stove, then toss it in the fridge without glass exploding in your face.
Also, the brew quality is epic.
Its unique shape traps the individual flavor notes typically lost in other designs.
Using nothing but hot water and a thick filter, you’ll make the Starbucks lady jealous.
The downfall with the Chemex is that it will shatter if dropped, so you must be careful!
- 5-star rated.
- Non-porous, shock-resistant glass: Laughs at sudden temperature change. Will not stain or absorb odors/ flavors.
- Brews 5 – 8oz servings of coffee (40oz) in 10-20 minutes.
- Great for both hot and cold beverages such as tea or iced coffee.
- Wipes clean in seconds: Remove the wooden handle and hand wash, or place it in the dishwasher.
- Measures 9 1/8″ tall and 5″ wide. Weighs 1.3lbs
- 30-day money-back guarantee, so don’t worry if it’s not a perfect match.
- Crafted in the USA!
Bean Envy Pour-Over Non-Toxic Coffee Maker (20oz)
Like Chemex, Bean Envy crafts their no-plastic coffee maker from thick borosilicate glass.
But three differences set it apart.
First, unlike the majority of pour-overs, this has a built-in handle for easier pouring.
Second, you get a reusable stainless steel filter, which prevents waste and adds more flavor to your coffee.
(Paper disposable filters absorb some of the flavor oils, whereas a reusable filter won’t).
Third, a non-slip silicone base keeps it secured on your countertop, preventing accidents.
Some customers complain that the mesh filter clogs, so make sure to rinse it right after use.
- Non-porous, shock-resistant glass: Like Chemex, this glass won’t explode, stain, or absorb flavors/ odors.
- Built-in handle so you can maneuver like a pro barista.
- Removable silicone base so your cat won’t swipe this off the counter.
- Bonus steel mesh filter for a full-bodied taste and saves you cash on paper filters.
- K-cup pod alternative: Brews smaller 20oz servings of coffee (in 5-10 minutes).
- Easy cleaning: Base and filter are removable. You can easily hand wash or throw in the dishwasher.
- Measures 8.5″ tall x 5.25″ wide. Weighs 1.6lbs.
- Lifetime warranty for total peace of mind
Hario V60 Ceramic Pour-Over Non-Toxic Coffee Maker (4-Cups)
Hario’s ceramic dripper perfectly retains heat for consistent temperatures throughout the pour.
Furthermore, its spiral ribs inside the funnel help increase coffee extraction.
All of that (plus the absence of plastic) makes for clean, savory coffee that will knock your socks off.
Place the dripper right on your coffee mug for the pour. No need for a carafe!
Think of it as a plastic-free coffee pod, with MUCH better flavor.
Like glass, ceramic will break if dropped, so make sure to take extra care.
- 5-star rated
- Solid ceramic keeps the temperature steady for perfect coffee extraction.
- Compatible with both reusable mesh and paper filters.
- K-Cup pod alternative: Set the dripper right on your mug for an immediate cup of perfect coffee.
- Brews 1-4 cups of coffee in 4-5 minutes.
- Versatility: Make a single serving, or set it on top of a larger coffee server for multiple people.
- Wipes clean in seconds or toss right in the dishwasher.
- Measures 5.5″ tall x 4.7″ wide. Weighs 1lb.
- Multiple color options: Available in white or red ceramic. Also, glass and stainless steel options.
Cafellissimo Stainless Steel Pour-Over Coffee Maker Without Plastic (2-Cups)
Cafellissimo crafts their dripper from solid 18/8 stainless steel, so it’s completely unbreakable.
Not just that, the steel mesh design will further enhance coffee flavor (no paper filters).
Those delicate oils can escape the bean and flow right through the mesh into your cup.
A full flavor profile, even more so than Hario’s ceramic dripper.
Seriously, you’ll never go to a coffee house again.
Speaking of coffee shops, this dripper is a bargain.
Skip the drive-thru for a couple of days, and the Caffellissimo pays for itself.
Reminder: The steel mesh can clog, so make a habit of quickly rinsing under the sink after use.
- 100% stainless steel pour-over coffee maker for the durability to last forever, saving serious cash.
- No need for filters: Save money on paper filters. Reduce pollution. Enhance your coffee’s flavor. Boom.
- K-Cup pod alternative: Perfect for single servings!
- Effortless cleaning and dishwasher-safe.
- Makes 1-2 cups of coffee in a couple of minutes.
- Measures 5.2″ tall x 4″ wide. Weighs less than an ounce.
- No strings attached 30-day guarantee.
Best Percolator Coffee Makers Without Plastic
The following two options are, no doubt, the best percolator coffee makers without plastic.
Here’s how percolators work…
Fill the stainless steel pot with water.
Add coffee grounds to the filter basket on top.
Apply heat and wait. There’s nothing to it!
As the coffee brews, it recirculates until completion, making some knockout java.
Presto 12-Cup Electric Stainless Steel Coffee Percolator (Top Recommended)
Presto’s percolator combines the safety of plastic-free pour-overs…
With the speed and efficiency of automatic drip brewers. (Minus the plastic).
Simply add water and coffee grounds, then plug it in.
You’ll get 4-12 cups of steaming hot, bold coffee within minutes (1 cup a minute).
You can use either paper disc filters or the permanent steel filter basket only for extra-rich flavor.
The main complaint with this percolator is the lack of an auto shut-off feature, but this isn’t a huge deal, in my opinion.
Just remember to unplug after use! (Need to do anyway before cleaning).
- Reliable stainless steel design with the durability to last for years without replacement.
- Cool-touch handle for easy pouring and a burn-free grip.
- No need to use paper filters, maximizing flavor and saving money on disposables.
- Fail-proof brewing: Anyone (regardless of skill) can make an impressive cup of joe in minutes.
- An indicator light comes on when coffee finishes brewing, taking out the guesswork.
- Doubles as a plastic-free coffee pot: Finish brewing and place right on the table to serve!
- Wipes clean in seconds: For the perc tube and spout, use a toothbrush or pipe cleaner.
- Best percolator for travel: Not bulky and easy to bring along to the hotel. Just plug it in!
- Awesome sound: Nothing is more satisfying in the morning than hearing the unique sounds of percolating coffee.
- Measures 13.1″ tall x 6.2″ wide inches. Weighs 2.9lbs.
- 1-year warranty just in case.
Farberware Yosemite Stovetop Stainless Steel Coffee Maker (12-Cup)
Rather than electricity, The Farberware Yosemite percolator uses heat from your stovetop!
Operation is simple.
Fill with coffee and water, then turn on the heat.
Wait till you see coffee-colored bubbles through the see-through glass knob on top…
Then, turn the heat to low and wait for 4-6 minutes.
The result is 4-12 cups of piping hot, bold coffee, impossible to replicate with drip coffee makers.
A smaller 8-cup version is also available.
Just be careful with the see-through knob, as some customers claim it can come loose.
- Durable, mirror polished steel: No plastic. Looks elegant in your kitchen. Last’s forever. What’s not to love?
- Doesn’t need electricity: Keep the Yosemite as a backup for power outages, or take it camping!
- No need to use filters: Instead, use the permanent filter basket to maximize flavor and save moola.
- Works on all stovetops, including electric and induction.
- Fully immersible and dishwasher-safe for no-sweat care.
- Comfortable cool-touch handle: Let caffeine wake you up, not 2nd-degree burns.
- See-through knob so you can track brew progress.
- Captivating sound.
- Measures 9″ tall x 7″ wide. Weighs 2 1/4lbs
- Lifetime Warranty = maximum value for your dollar.
Best Plastic-free French Press
French presses are another unique, non-toxic coffee maker that gives you full control over your flavor.
You steep medium-coarse grounds in hot water, then filter by pressing down the plunger.
Hence the name French “press” coffee maker.
Cafe Du Chateau Plastic-Free French Press Coffee Maker (32oz)
This French press consists of a borosilicate glass carafe nestled inside of a stainless steel housing.
The plunger and filter are solid stainless, meaning this is a 100% plastic-free coffee maker!
A 4-layer steel filter prevents grounds in your coffee, so it won’t look like you ate dirt for breakfast.
The stainless steel housing improves durability in case of bumps (and looks fantastic)!
Because you don’t need paper filters, you won’t lose any of the bean’s natural oils and flavor profiles.
- Stainless steel and glass construction: Durable, shock-resistant, and most important… CLEAN.
- Steel outer shell to protect the glass and prevent cracks if you bump your press.
- Brews 34oz of coffee in 3-5 minutes.
- The innovative 4-layer filter makes sure coffee grounds never make it to your cup.
- Comfortable steel handle for precise, ninja-like pouring.
- Requires no electricity, only hot water, and a yearning for caffeine.
- Cleaning is a breeze: Everything comes apart for cleaning, preventing nasty grime. Dishwasher-safe.
- Measures 7.25″ tall x 6.5″ wide. Weighs 1.75lbs.
- Risk-free lifetime warranty for complete satisfaction.
Mueller Insulated Plastic-Free French Coffee Press (34oz)
Rather than a glass-steel mix, Mueller’s French press is 100% double-walled stainless steel!
The double-walled steel has several benefits.
First, it keeps your coffee hot for much longer, so the second or third cup is just as hot as the first.
(The outside wall stays cool to the touch).
Second, the water won’t cool during the steep, meaning better extraction and a more flavor-packed brew.
Third, this thing is virtually unbreakable, so it’ll last indefinitely.
- 5-star rated
- 100% stainless steel construction. No plastic and no breakage, saving you money on replacements.
- Insulated coffee press: Keeps coffee hot longer without having to reheat. (A more eco-friendly coffee maker.)
- 4-layer steel filter for velvety smooth, perfectly filtered coffee.
- Comfortable steel handle for full control.
- Easy to clean: Take everything apart and throw the pieces right in the dishwasher.
- Free-bonuses: Two extra stainless steel screens and a bonus travel canister for coffee beans.
- Measures 12.3″ tall x 5.1″ wide. Weighs 2.2lbs.
- Sweat-free 2-year warranty, to make sure you’re satisfied.
Safest Moka Pot Coffee Maker
Moka is a very rich and intense java.
Not as strong as espresso, yet still more concentrated than regular drip coffee.
The perfect pick me up after a rough night or jolt before a long day.
Or you’re just heavily addicted to caffeine and crave a stronger fix (like me).
Moka pot’s work similar to a percolator, with water in the bottom and grounds on top.
But added steam pressure further extracts the coffee for deeper flavor.
Grosche Milano Stainless Moka Pot (12oz)
Quickly (and safely) whip up Moka like a pro with this pot from Grosche Milano.
Rather than most other Moka pots (made from aluminum with plastic accessories), this is entirely stainless steel.
Even the lid and handle are steel, so you know this thing will last (no melted handles)!
The pot also features a high-quality safety valve crafted in Italy for top-notch performance.
Keep in mind that the steel lid can get hot, so be careful if you lift the lid to peek inside mid-brew.
- 100% stainless steel construction: All-metal coffee maker built to last forever. (Aluminum-free).
- Steel filter basket to save money on paper filters and protect flavor profiles.
- Brews 6 cups of Moka in about 5 minutes. (10-cup version available for larger families.)
- Heat-resistant steel handle: No melted plastic over the flame.
- Precise, non-drip spout, so you never miss your mark.
- Quality Italian-made safety valve so your pot won’t explode like a hand grenade.
- Works on all stovetops: Can even use this Moka pot on induction stoves, eliminating compatibility concerns.
- Dishwasher-safe: More time sipping and less time scrubbing over your sink.
- Requires no electricity: Conserve power or take it camping!
- Measures 4.25″ tall x 6″ wide. Weighs 1.8lbs.
Cleanest Vacuum-Style Plastic-Free Coffee Maker
Also known as a siphon coffee maker or vacuum coffee pot, this is one of the cleanest coffee makers out there.
And watching them brew is a hypnotic experience – a stimulating blend of art and science in action.
Here’s how vacuum coffee brewers work…
There are two glass chambers and a round filter in between.
You fill the bottom chamber with water and place it over a burner on your stove.
Coffee grounds go in the top chamber.
As the water heats, vapor pressure forces the hot water to rise into the top chamber, mixing with the grounds.
After a few minutes of steeping, you turn off the heat.
Then, the decreased vapor pressure in the lower chamber sucks the coffee back down through the filter.
Yama Glass Stovetop Vacuum Coffee Pot (32oz)
Yama Glass handcrafts their vacuum brewer from borosilicate, the same glass used in laboratories.
Speaking of labs, this looks more like a science project than a plastic-free coffee maker.
But rest assured, this thing churns out incredible coffee, and no plastic ever contacts your brew.
The airtight vacuum locks in unmatched flavors and aromas lost in every other brewing method.
As always, be careful to avoid dropping this brewer because it’ll break.
Luckily, the handle makes it easy to maneuver.
- Borosilicate glass construction: All-glass coffee maker, so no plastic touches your coffee.
- Includes reusable cloth filter. (Stainless steel filter also available) so you can get brewing immediately.
- Cool-touch handle for a comfortable grip and easy pouring.
- Requires no electricity, only heat, and a desire for robust java.
- Works on both gas and electric stoves.
- Brews 32oz of java in roughly 7-10 minutes (also available in a 20oz size).
- Effortless to clean: Wipes down in seconds or use the dishwasher.
- Measures 10″ tall x 6″ wide. Weighs 1.75lbs.
- Great experience: Impress your guests with your fun and sophisticated brewing!
Best Cold Brew Coffee Maker Without Plastic
The last section on our list, cold brew coffee makers without plastic!
These are remarkably easy to use…
You just fill the carafe with water and the mesh filter with coffee grounds.
Steep for 12-16 hours. For a more potent batch, you can steep longer. (No more than 24 hours.)
Piece of cake!
Cafe Du Chateau Cold Brew Coffee Maker (34oz)
Cafe Du Chateau is back at it again, this time with their stylish cold brewer.
Like their French press, this non-toxic coffee maker is borosilicate glass with a steel housing.
The difference is in the lid and filter…
This lid has a hefty airtight silicone seal (rare in most cold brewers).
Alike the vacuum brewer, this sealed environment blocks outside contamination.
A superfine steel mesh filter sits deep inside the carafe, letting the water fully extract every bit of caffeinated goodness.
The result is an untainted, rich, full-bodied brew unrivaled by coffee houses.
But, some users complain about sharp edges on the brewer, so take care when cleaning.
- Stainless steel and glass construction: Durable and shock-resistant, able to store in the fridge for two weeks.
- Steel outer shell protects the glass, preventing cracks and broken shards.
- Superfine mesh filter for perfectly extracted, coffee ground-free cold brew.
- Airtight silicone seal to maximize freshness and get an epic brew every time.
- Comfortable steel handle for easy pouring.
- Requires no electricity or heat, only water, and a little patience.
- Easy to clean: The lid, filter, glass carafe, and steel housing all come apart to clean. Dishwasher-safe.
- Measures 8.5″ tall x 5″ wide. Weighs 1.75lbs.
- No-risk lifetime warranty for total confidence.
Important Factors for Choosing Your “No-Plastic” Coffee Maker
There’s a whole slew of options for going plastic-free.
So, regardless of your own specific need, there’s a plastic-free coffee maker for you.
But how do you determine the right choice?
You need to consider some factors, such as…
Everything on this list is a safe, non-toxic coffee maker, but…
If you don’t trust yourself with glass, choose a full stainless steel coffee maker instead.
Are you the only coffee drinker?
Or do you have a whole house full of java-heads?
(Don’t spend more than you have to).
For a large family, you might want the Bunn VP-17, which holds 192 ounces of water and spits out a full 12-cup pot in 3 minutes.
- Counter space
Are you limited on counter space?
Then large auto-drip machines will be too bulky.
Now you know everything needed to choose the best non-toxic coffee maker.
We went over identifying the best BPA-free coffee maker, types of coffee makers without plastic, and the 13 best plastic-free coffee makers for every method.
So, which will you choose?
If you have any questions, please leave us a comment or send us an email!
P.S. Now that you’ve got your coffee maker covered, why not complete breakfast with the safest non-toxic waffle maker?
Enjoyed this post? Share it with your friends!
Non-Toxic Kitchenware Checklist
Get a step-by-step product guide with insider tips & tricks for the safest kitchen possible!